Sep 7, 2009

Rollerhook Drama, Tricky Trucks & Boo Acrylic Paint!

Naturally I've had tweek a few bits of my press between getting it and printing my first job. When it first arrived the wooden base it was screwed to was totally busted, so my step dad Mike made me the gorgeous new one you see here:After that there was the overly drawn-out rollerhook/truck/roller action drama. The trucks and rollers were getting hung up on the corner of the chase bed, I had to manually lift them over the corner every time. Maybe its the thick paint on the hooks I thought. So I scraped paint off the hooks. But NO! The hooks were bent! Scraping paint made no difference to bent hooks! So for months I pondered until a friend helped out by taking them to a smith to be straightened. It was quick and simple and now they are nearly perfect. Surely things would work perfectly. But again - the trucks were getting hung up on the corner of the chase bed. Woe was me! What could be done? I agonzied, and then I oiled. And everything was fine. :/ I also noticed my trucks slipping away from the roller every few strokes as I worked the press. So I used these tiny hair bands to keep things in place:
Most recently (today) I had the hairbrained idea to try acrylic paint on the press. Now I kind of knew better -- but what if it totally works? how convenient, clean-up would be so easy! I thought. It did not work, AT ALL, and now my rollers are green...and a tiny bit sticky. :( It seems the yellow paint that was on them soaked into or became one with the rubber on the rollers. If anyone with actual press experience stumbles upon this, I wouldn't mind hearing exactly how & why my idea with the acrylic paint was so dumb. (Is this a situation similar to no silicone lube with silicone toys?)I think they will be ok - but boo bad ideas with acrylic paint!!

No comments:

Post a Comment